Monday, November 24, 2008

Food-Meals for less than $10

I can't think of a better place to save money than on the food budget. Post your ideas.

Dan L. and I discovered we share a common pastime: We like to make the best meal we can for a very small cost. So let's start there.

The goal is to make a balanced, nutritous meal, a protein, starch, vegetable or fruit, and a dessert. If you can do that for a family of four for less than $10 you're awesome, but I bet several of you can do it for $5 or less.

Here's my first offering. Red beans and rice. If you add meat it will be in the $10 or less category, without meat, I bet I can do it for less than $5 including dessert. Let me know if you want the recipes.

1 comment:

Patty Bartleson said...

You don't need meat nutionally as any legume and grain form a perfect protein. Southerners survived on beans -- lima, great northern and others -- and rice during the great depression.